I was out the other day with someone having a good time and we got to talking about the past.
We were doing the long meandering drive and the conversation got around to old flames and I said how certain things made sense to me now that might not have jibed with my perceptions of the situation when I was younger.
I might’ve said this before but I realized that I had been the one ending relationships which honestly surprised the hell out of me when I thought about it. I did not think of the situations that way at all but when I broke them down that was in fact what had happened.
Still one of the things I look back on now is that I always give the woman with whom I have had a relationship with great credit for abiding me. That’s not to say that I am an ogre because I try very hard to be the exact opposite but I always have felt graced to have a woman’s company.
Seriously, one of the greatest boons I can say about my adult life are those times when I have had a woman to share things with, someone to touch and to hold, someone to nestle against. It is comforting that physical intimacy between two people and we as creatures have a need for that on a very basic level. This is something that is often overlooked especially for the aged, people who are in homes or assisted living facilities. Denied that comfort which if anything when it does happen is something else entirely in the form of poking, prodding or manipulating.
Where I was going though was that I have been many different people over time. Today, I think people I encounter have a very different view of me than the me there was when I was a young man. I am different now too because I am older but that other person is still a part of me, still there submerged as it were.
During the conversation some of that came out, only because there have been moments when I have run across a person or persons that believes bullying is a means to an end and that in doing so they can force an outcome.
It is those moments when that other person makes an appearance. My mom was (is) one tough lady. Things she’s been through would’ve killed most people. She’s lived the kind of life that looks as if it came out of the pages of a Dicken’s novel, seriously.
The one thing my mom said though, and I can hear her shrill voice saying it was, “Don’t take shit from other people.”
It’s funny and I laugh now thinking about it but it stuck... don’t think she was all that though she was the same person who ALWAYS said you say, ‘Please,’ ‘Thank you’ and you are at all times as polite and courteous as you can be. She was very big on that. I’m the kind of person who holds doors open for people, it’s stupid little things that just make the day better and the world better for all of us.
But there was still that admonition and it stuck!
We were doing the long meandering drive and the conversation got around to old flames and I said how certain things made sense to me now that might not have jibed with my perceptions of the situation when I was younger.
I might’ve said this before but I realized that I had been the one ending relationships which honestly surprised the hell out of me when I thought about it. I did not think of the situations that way at all but when I broke them down that was in fact what had happened.
Still one of the things I look back on now is that I always give the woman with whom I have had a relationship with great credit for abiding me. That’s not to say that I am an ogre because I try very hard to be the exact opposite but I always have felt graced to have a woman’s company.
Seriously, one of the greatest boons I can say about my adult life are those times when I have had a woman to share things with, someone to touch and to hold, someone to nestle against. It is comforting that physical intimacy between two people and we as creatures have a need for that on a very basic level. This is something that is often overlooked especially for the aged, people who are in homes or assisted living facilities. Denied that comfort which if anything when it does happen is something else entirely in the form of poking, prodding or manipulating.
Where I was going though was that I have been many different people over time. Today, I think people I encounter have a very different view of me than the me there was when I was a young man. I am different now too because I am older but that other person is still a part of me, still there submerged as it were.
During the conversation some of that came out, only because there have been moments when I have run across a person or persons that believes bullying is a means to an end and that in doing so they can force an outcome.
It is those moments when that other person makes an appearance. My mom was (is) one tough lady. Things she’s been through would’ve killed most people. She’s lived the kind of life that looks as if it came out of the pages of a Dicken’s novel, seriously.
The one thing my mom said though, and I can hear her shrill voice saying it was, “Don’t take shit from other people.”
It’s funny and I laugh now thinking about it but it stuck... don’t think she was all that though she was the same person who ALWAYS said you say, ‘Please,’ ‘Thank you’ and you are at all times as polite and courteous as you can be. She was very big on that. I’m the kind of person who holds doors open for people, it’s stupid little things that just make the day better and the world better for all of us.
But there was still that admonition and it stuck!
No comments:
Post a Comment